Ketogenic Diet Clinic
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that can be an effective treatment of epilepsy.
If your doctor places your child on the ketogenic diet, you will be referred to the Ketogenic diet clinic so that your child can be monitored on a regular basis.
The ketogenic diet clinic is held every three months and is staffed by a pediatric epileptologist and dietitian. During your child's visits, special attention is given to how your child is responding to dietary therapy. Your child will also be checked to ensure they are receiving adequate nutrition and are tolerating the diet well.
These appointments are not in place of any other appointments related to your child's epilepsy.
Treatment with the ketogenic diet includes:
- A very specific high-fat diet that consists of a three- or four-to-one ratio of fats to carbohydrates and proteins.
- Careful monitoring, which begins with a short stay in the medical center.
- The ketogenic diet is not considered a first line of treatment for epilepsy and should be discussed carefully with your child's neurologist. If your child is on the diet, they will be carefully monitored by our clinic staff through frequent follow-ups and routine lab monitoring.
- In most cases, your child will remain on their current seizure medications. If the seizures improve, medications may be reduced and, in some cases, eventually eliminated.
- Children on this diet require daily vitamins and supplements.
- Side effects can include nausea, vomiting, dehydration, constipation and weight loss.
- Long-term risks to your child may include osteoporosis, elevated triglycerides, kidney stones and pancreatitis.
- Children typically spend no more than two years on the ketogenic diet, either because it can be successfully tapered off, it doesn't have an effect on seizure activity or due the risk of long-term side effects. The diet is successful in approximately two-thirds of patients.
Location and contact information
The Jane and John Justin Neurosciences Center at Cook Children's
Dodson Specialty Clinics Building
1500 Cooper Street
Fort Worth, TX 76104
Before going to your clinic appointment, please check in on first floor with registration staff.