Cook Children's Anesthesiology provides expert anesthesia care for more than 20,000 children per year for surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. All of our anesthesiologists are board certified in anesthesiology with subspecialty fellowship training in pediatric anesthesia, and some hold additional board certification in other specialties.
In addition to our anesthesiologists, the department includes nurse practitioners, physician assistants, registered nurses and nearly 50 certified registered nurse anesthetists. We provide services for Cook Children's Medical Center and Cook Children's Northeast Hospital in Hurst.
Anesthesia is medicine that prevents patients from feeling anything during surgery or other procedures. We provide anesthesia services for premature babies, newborns, children and teenagers.
Given as a shot, gas or vapor that kids breathe in, different types of anesthesia block nerve impulses and, therefore, pain.
At Cook Children's, highly trained professionals use a wide variety of safe, modern medications and extremely capable monitoring technology. An anesthesiologist is a doctor who specializes in giving and managing anesthetics – the medications that numb an area of the body or help you fall and stay asleep.
Anesthesia services also include:
- Presurgical anesthesia evaluation and testing (in our pre-anesthesia preoperation clinic).
- Presurgical Child Life services to help patients understand what's happening. This could include a tour of the operating room for the patient and their family.
- Surgical anesthesia for general surgery, neonatal surgery, congenital heart surgery, cardiac catheterizations, neurosurgery (including deep brain stimulation and intraoperative MRI), craniofacial reconstruction, orthopedic and spine surgery, plastic surgery, ear, nose and throat surgery, urologic surgery, dental restoration, MRI, CT, PET scans, invasive radiology, ABR testing, gastrointestinal procedures, exit procedures, bronchoscopies and hematology and oncology procedures, among others.
- Pain management services for both chronic and acute pain processes.
- Difficult IV access consultations.
- Difficult airway intubation consultations.
- Level II Trauma coverage with 24 hour in-hospital anesthesia personnel.
Contact and Locations
Have a question? If you would like to discuss a procedure or speak to our staff, please call 682-885-4054.
Cook Children's Anesthesiology Services
801 7th Ave.
Fort Worth, TX 76104