Meet Dr. Kenneth M. Heym
Dr. Heym knew early on that he wanted to work with children who were facing significant challenges. The field of Oncology has provided an opportunity to form meaningful relationships with patients and their families, and to provide support during times of great need. He realizes that parents come to him with the most important thing in their lives: their children. He is honored and humbled by this responsibility and has dedicated his career to delivering cutting-edge, state-of-the-art care to the children seen at Cook Children's.
As Principal Investigator for the clinical trials treating leukemia and lymphoma through the Children's Oncology Group, Dr. Heym has helped coordinate the extensive clinical oncology research being performed at Cook Children's. He also leads joint research efforts and treatment protocols with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. These collaborations have allowed patients in the Fort Worth and surrounding areas access to the most sophisticated, research-driven therapies available for children with leukemia. He also spearheaded Cook Children's membership in the Therapeutic Advances in Childhood Leukemia and Lymphoma consortium which has provided access to Phase I experimental trials to our patients with relapsed leukemia and lymphoma.
In addition to his work in oncology, Dr. Heym has established the Cook Children's Vascular Anomalies Clinic. This multidisciplinary clinic provides comprehensive care to children and young adults with tumors and malformations of the vascular system. Dr. Heym has been a member of the Vascular Anomalies Special Interest Group through the American Society of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology since its inception.
Dr. Heym is originally from Long Island, New York, but he says he "got to Texas as quickly as I could." He lives with his very patient and understanding wife, and his three little Texans, who used to want to be a doctor like their daddy, but now want to be like Doc McStuffins.
- General hematology and oncology diagnosis and care
- Inpatient and outpatient services
September 28, 2023
The best doctor experience I've had since having children two years ago. Very kind and understanding, personable and caring.
September 15, 2023
The receptionist was amazing in fixing the issues we had. She was very patient with us and getting all his information corrected.
September 15, 2023
Our overall experience was great. We have nothing negative to say.
September 14, 2023
Thank you for helping my son.
September 14, 2023
We have always been treated well at the Abilene Cook Childrens clinic. The entire staff is amazing and always welcoming and friendly.
September 10, 2023
The Doctor that helped us was super nice and gave great explanations to everything. He also got our spiderman reference which is bonus points
September 06, 2023
Dr. Heym was phenomenal! He was very caring and knowledgeable. He answered all of our questions and really made us feel at ease. He even called after 5 with additional lab results once they came in. When you're a worrying mom those 12-24 hours make a huge difference.
July 12, 2023
All the staff members are very helpful, informative and always make us feel welcome. Thanks for that
July 10, 2023
The team coordinating, including nurses, PA, ultrasound tech and doctors were reassuring by referencing my experience with her issue, (patient's) portal of photos, test results and doctor's notes, their own scans in my presence, their expertise and willingness to appear calm and give me as much time to ask questions as I could ever all left me feeling very confident and positive about her care.
July 05, 2023
The whole team was amazing. Courtney was so friendly
June 13, 2023
Dr Kenneth Heym, Brooke and Sophia
May 22, 2023
Everyone has been great with my daughters Care and treatment.
May 22, 2023
Dr. Heym and the nurses/receptionist
March 23, 2023
Nurse Sophia for always remembering and taking such good care of the kids
February 28, 2023
Overall pleasant and satisfactory visit
February 28, 2023
All staff we interacted with were kind, caring, and hospitable.
February 11, 2023
Kendall and Dr Heym were both extremely nice and caring for my daughter.
December 27, 2022
Nurse Courtney was so sweet and kind!
December 15, 2022
Kenneth Heym, Mimi
December 15, 2022
We have nothing but wonderful experiences with Cook Children's and the entire staff.
December 15, 2022
Everyone there was very kind a respectful . Very helpful staff .
December 13, 2022
Love Dr. Heym and Sommer Mims! They are like family to me. So grateful for such a good medical team!
December 13, 2022
Love everything about Cooks! Recommend to everyone if they have a kid who is sick.
November 16, 2022
Dr Heym is amazing with knowledge and age appropriate compassion for his patients and families.
November 14, 2022
Very good experiences
November 07, 2022
Love all of the doctors
- Allen, C., Peters, T., Price, J., Tsz-Kwong Man, C., Heym, K., Merad, M., McClain, K. (2011). BRAF mutations are identified in CD207+ cells in LCH lesions. Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 56(6), 920.
- Allison-Ottey, S., Ferguson, R. P., Heym, K. (1999). Characteristics of AIDS in older patients: A follow-up study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 47(6), 764-765.
- Allison-Ottey S, Ferguson, RP, Ryan P, Heym, K. Markowitz J. Abstract: Demographic and Clinical Features of AIDS in the Elderly: A Follow-Up Study 1993-1995. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997 Sept;45(9):S79.
- Averitt, A.W., Heym, K., Akers, L., Castro-Silva, F., Ray, A. (2018). Sinus Histiocytosis with Massive Lymphadenopathy (Rosai Dorfman Disease): Diagnostic and Treatment Modalities for the Rare Entity Revisited. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, May;40(4):e198-e202.
- Basha, R., Sabnis, N., Heym, K., Bowman, W. P., Lacko, A. G. (2014). Targeted nanoparticles for pediatric leukemia therapy. Frontiers in Oncology, 4, 101-101. doi:10.3389/fonc.2014.00101
- Berres, M., Lim, K. P. H., Peters, T., Price, J., Takizawa, H., Salmon, H., Idoyaga, J., Ruzo, A., Lupo, P.J., Hicks, M.J., Shih, A., Simko, S.J., Abhyankar, H., Chakraborty, R., Leboeuf, M., Beltrão, M., Lira, S.A., Heym, K.M., Clausen, B.E., Bigley, V., Collin, M., Manz, M.G., McClain, K., Merad, M., Allen, C. E. (2014). BRAF-V600E expression in precursor versus differentiated dendritic cells defines clinically distinct LCH risk groups. The Journal of Experimental Medicine, 211(4), 669-683. doi:10.1084/jem.20130977
- Burke, M. J., Brown, P., Gore, L., Sposto, R., Bhojwani, D., Chang, B. H., Dubois S.G., Gaynon, P.S., Glade-Bender, J., Heym, K.M., Sulis, M.L., Pollard, J.A., Verma, A., Huynh, V. (2014). Invasive candida infections in pediatric patients treated on the pilot study of decitabine and vorinostat with chemotherapy for relapsed ALL: A report from the therapeutic advances in childhood leukemia & lymphoma (TACL) consortium. Blood, 124(21)
- Burke, M.J., Kostadinov, R., Sposto, R., Gore, L., Kelley, S.M., Rabik, C., Trepel, J.B., Lee, M.J., Yuno, A., Lee, S., Bhojwani, D., Jeha, S., Chang, B.H., Sulis, M.L., Hermiston, M.L., Gaynon, P., Huynh, V., Verma, A., Gardner, R., Heym, K.M., Dennis, R.M., Ziegler, D.S., Laetsch, T.W., Oesterheld, J.E., Dubois, S.G., Pollard, J.A., Glade-Bender, J., Cooper, T.M., Kaplan, J.A., Farooqi, M.S., Yoo, B., Guest, E., Wayne, A.S., Brown, P.A. (2020). Decitabine and Vorinostat with Chemotherapy in Relapsed Pediatric Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: A TACL Pilot Study. Clinical Cancer Research 2020 Jan 22.
- Goldman, S., Hochberg, J., Barth, M., El-Mallawany, N., Harrison, L., Nickerson, B., Heym, K., Perkins, S.L., Miles, R., Shiramizu, B., Cairo, M. S. (2015). Safety and efficacy of intrathecal (IT) liposomal cytarabine (L-ara-C) in children, adolescent and young adult (CAYA) patients with de-novo mature B-cell lymphoma/leukemia (MBLL). British Journal of Haematology, 171, 29-30.
- Gottschalk, S., Heym, K., Ratnayake, M., Vanin, E.F., Heslop, H.E., Rooney, C.M. Genetically modified lymphoblastoid cell lines enable the generation of LMP1- and LMP2-specific CTL for the adoptive immunotherapy of EBV positive Hodgkin's disease. Keystone Symposium 2004: Immune Evasion. Abstract Book, p.135.
- Gressett S, Trinkman H, Heym, K. Musculoskeletal Toxicity of Imatinib in Pediatric Patients: A Single Institution Experience. Abstract and Poster, Cook Children's Medical Center Research Day 2009.
- Heym, K.M., Gressett Ussery, S.M., Trinkman, H., Philpot, L. M. (2015). Nonhematologic toxicity of imatinib mesylate in pediatric patients with chronic myelogenous leukemia: A predominance of musculoskeletal pain. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 37(2), e111-e113. doi:10.1097/MPH.0000000000000277
- Heym, K., Ratnayake, M., Hicks, J., Horowitz, M., Gottschalk, S., Rooney, C.M. Survivin-specific Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes for the Adoptive Immunotherapy of Pediatric Sarcomas. Abstract, Baylor College of Medicine Department of Pediatrics Fellow's Day, 2004.
- Hill, R., Bricker, M., Bashore, L., Rapisand, S., Heym, KM, Hamby, T. (2018). Weight gain in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia patients with Down Syndrome. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology.Aug;40(6):487-488.
- Hill, R., Hamby, T., Bashore, L., Rapisand, S., Galipp, K., Heym, K., Bowman, W.P. (2018). Early nutrition intervention attenuates weight gain for pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia patients in maintenance therapy. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. Mar;40(2):104-110.
- Hochberg, J., Goldman, S., Barth, M., Shi, Q., Klejmont, L., Harrison, L., Basso, J., Chu, Y., Islam, H., Gerard, P., Oesterheld, J., Heym, K., Kirov, I., Drachtman, R., Harker-Murray, P., Perkins, S., Miles, R., Shiramizu, B., Cairo, M. (2020). Final Report of Reduced Anthracycline Dose Intensity with the Addition of Dose Dense Rituximab in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults with de Novo Good Risk Mature B-cell Lymphoma. ASH abstract/poster 2020.
- Inaba, H., Rubnitz, J. E., Coustan-Smith, E., Li, L., Furmanski, B. D., Mascara, G. P., Heym, K.M., Christensen, R., Onciu, M., Shurtleff, S.A., Pounds, S.B., Pui, C.-H., Ribeiro, R.C., Campana, D., Baker, S. D. (2011). Phase I pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of the multikinase inhibitor sorafenib in combination with clofarabine and cytarabine in pediatric relapsed/refractory leukemia. Journal of Clinical Oncology: Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, 29(24), 3293-3300. doi:10.1200/JCO.2011.34.7427
- Ledbetter A, Bayles A, Brown L, Heym, K. Obesity and Changes in Body Mass Index in Pediatric Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Patients on the Total XV Protocol, February 2004-present. Abstract and Poster, Cook Children's Medical Center Research Day 2009.
- Leen, A., Ratnayake, M., Foster, A., Heym, K., Ahmed, N., Rooney, C. M., Gottschalk, S. (2007). Contact-activated monocytes: Efficient antigen presenting cells for the stimulation of antigen-specific T cells. Journal of Immunotherapy, 30(1), 96-107.
- Lim, K. P., Peters, T. L., Berres, M., Price, J., Takizawa, H., Lupo, P., Hicks M.J., Shih, A., Simko, III S.J., Heym, K.M., Bigley, V., Collin, M.P., Manz, M.G., McClain, K., Merad, M., Allen, C. E. (2013). Hematopoietic stem cells and circulating myelomonocytic precursors with BRAF-V600E are identified in high-risk patients and define LCH as a myeloid neoplasia. Blood, 122(21)
- Locatelli, F., Whitlock, J.A., Peters, C., Chen-Santel, C., Chia, V., Dennis, R.M., Heym, K.M., Katz, A.J., Kelsh, M.A., Sposto, R., Tu, H., Tuglus, C.A., Verma, A., Vinti, L., Wilkes, J.J., Zubarovskaja, N., Zugmaier, G., von Stackelberg, A., Sun, W. (2020). Blinatumomab versus historical standard therapy in pediatric patients with relapsed/refractory Ph-negative B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Leukemia 2020 Feb 24.
- Karol, S.E., Cooper, T.M., Mead, P.E., Crews, K.R., Panetta, L.C., Alexander, T.B., Taub, J.W., Lacayo, N.J., Heym, K.M., Kuo, D.J., Schiff, D.E., Bhojwani, D., Ge, Y., Klco, J.M., Ribeiro, R.C., Inaba, H., Pui, C.H., Rubnitz, J.E. (2020). Safety, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics of panobinostat in children, adolescents, and young adults with relapsed acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer 2020 Aug 18.
- McClain, K.L., Picarsic, J., Chakraborty, R., Zinn, D., Lin, H., Abhyankar, H., Scull, B., Shih, A., Lim, K.P.H., Eckstein, Ol, Lubega, J., Peters, T.L., Olea, W., Burke, T., Ahmed, N., Hicks, M.J., Tran, B., Jones, J., Dauser, R., Jeng, M., Baiocchi, R., Schiff, D., Goldman, S, Heym, K.M., Wilson, H., Carcamo, B., Kumar, A., Rodriguez-Galindo, C., Whipple, N.S., Campbell, P., Murdoch, G., Kofler, J., Heales, S., Malone, M., Woltjer, R., Quinn, J.F., Orchard, P., Kruer, M.C., Jaffe, R., Manz, M.G., Lira, S.A., Parsons, D.W., Merad, M., Man, T.K., Allen, C.E. (2018). CNS Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis: Common hematopoietic origin for LCH-associated neurodegeneration and mass lesions. Cancer Jun 15;124(12):2607-2620.
- Mitre, V., Heym, K., Clark, G.D., Venkatramani, R. (2019). Neurocutaneous Melanocytosis and Leptomeningeal Melanoma. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol, 2019 Nov 22.
- Murray, J., Akers, L., Heym, K., Biegel, J. (2012). Sequential childhood neoplasms-leukemia following central nervous system tumors. Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 58(7), 1056.
- Nguyen, R., Wu, H., Pounds, S., Inaba, H., Ribeiro, R.C., Cullins, D., Rooney, B., Bell, T., Lacayo, N.J., Heym, K., Degar, B., Schiff, D., Janssen, W.E., Triplett, B., Pui, C.H., Leung, W., Rubnitz, J.E. (2019). A phase II clinical trial of adoptive transfer of haploidentical natural killer cells for consolidation therapy of pediatric acute myeloid leukemia. J Immunother Cancer Mar 20;7(1):81.
- Peters, T. L., Chris Man, T., Price, J., George, R., Lim, P. H., Heym, K. M., Merad, M., McClain, K.L., Allen, C. E. (2011). Frequent BRAF V600E mutations are identified in CD207+ cells in LCH lesions, but BRAF status does not correlate with clinical presentation of patients or transcriptional profiles of CD207+ cells. Blood, 118(21).
- Pierce, J.M., LaCroix, P., Heym, K., Bowman, W.P., Margraf, L., Iglesias, J., Ray, A. (2017). Pleuropulmonary Blastoma: A single-center case series of 6 patients. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Nov;39(8):e419-e422.
- Rubnitz, J.E., Lacayo, N.J., Inaba, H., Heym, K., Ribeiro, R.C., Taub, J., McNeer, J., Degar, B., Schiff, D., Yeoh, A.E., Coustan-Smith, E., Wang, L., Triplett, B., Raimondi, S.C., Kico, J., Choi, J., Pounds, S., Pui, C.H. (2019). Clofarabine can replace anthracyclines and etoposide in remission induction therapy for childhood acute myeloid leukemia: The AML08 multicenter, randomized phase III trial. J Clin Onc 37.
- Simko, S. J., Berres, M., Lim, K. P., Peters, T., Price, J., Lupo, P. J., Hicks, M.J., Shih, A., Heym, K., McClain, K.L., Merad, M., Sarabia, S., Lopez-Terrada, D., Allen, C. E. (2014). Detectable BRAF-V600E mutation in circulating peripheral blood of patients with langerhans cell histiocytosis correlates with risk organ involvement and residual disease. Cancer Research, 74(20)
- Sun, W., Malvar, J., Sposto, R., Verma, A., Wilkes, J. J., Dennis, R. M., Heym, K.M., Eckroth, E., Vandergiesse, J., Gaynon, P.S., Wayne, A.S., Whitlock, J. A. (2015). Re-induction outcome for pediatric patients with relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A retrospective cohort study of the therapeutic advances in childhood leukemia consortium. Blood, 126(23), 3760.
- Sun, W., Malvar, J., Sposto, R., Verma, A., Wilkes, J.J., Dennis, R., Heym, K., Laetsch, T.W., Widener, M., Rheingold, S.R., Oesterheld, J., Hijiya, N., Sulis, M.L., Huynh, V., Place, A.E., Bittencourt, H., Hutchinson, R., Messinger, Y., Chang, B., Matloub, Y., Ziegler, D.S., Gardner, R., Cooper, T., Ceppi, F., Hermiston, M., Dalla-Pozza, L., Schultz, K.R., Gaynon, P., Wayne, A.S., Whitlock, J.A. (2018). Outcome of children with multiply relapsed B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a therapeutic advances in childhood leukemia & lymphoma study. Leukemia Nov;32(11):2316-2325.
- Thienprayoon, R., Heym, K. M., Pelfrey, L., Bowers, D. C. (2013). Accidental overdose of intrathecal cytarabine in children. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 47(5), e24-e24. doi:10.1345/aph.1S028
- Medical School:
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine - Nashville Tennessee,Baylor College of Medicine
- Babies and Children's Hospital at Columbia University, New York, New York
- Board Certifications:
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Cook Children's Physician Network,Hendrick Medical Center - Abilene Texas,Midland Memorial Hospital - Midland Texas,Shannon Medical Center - San Angelo Texas
- Chairman (2019 Leukemia Texas Beat Leukemia Ball)
- Fort Worth Man of the Year (2017 Leukemia & Lymphoma Society)
- Amos Christie Award for Excellence in Pediatrics (1999 Vanderbilt University School of Medicine)
- Chairman (1998-1999 Vanderbilt School of Medicine Cadaver Ball)
- Amos Christie Society Scholarship recipient (1997 Vanderbilt University School of Medicine)
- Social Chairman (1995-1996 Vanderbilt School of Medicine Class of 1999)
- Beneficial-Hodson Trust (1991-1995)
- National Merit Scholar finalist (1991)