Meet Dr. Rodrigo Interiano
From the time he was five years old, Dr. Interiano knew he wanted to become a doctor. Being born into a long line of physicians in El Salvador, Dr. Interiano always wanted to take care of patients. Every step along the way in his education was one step towards achieving that goal. After his undergraduate studies at the University of Texas at Austin, Dr. Interiano attended medical school at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas serving as class president and later student body president during his four years. However, it wasn't until his first clinical rotation that he realized he would pursue surgery. While Dr. Interiano's grandfather and two uncles were in pediatrics, his father was (and still practices) in pulmonary and internal medicine. He thought he would go into pediatrics himself, until surgery became his calling.
Dr. Interiano then shifted his focus to pediatric surgery, but the road to that goal wasn't meant to be easy.
During his five years of general surgery residency at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, he served as administrative chief resident. He also completed with three years of clinical and basic science research at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. Dr. Interiano went on to complete his fellowship in pediatric surgery at the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He presented his research at state, national and international meetings and is an author on many peer-reviewed publications including the Annals of Surgery, Cancer and the Journal of Pediatric Surgery.
While the majority of his research was done in pediatric oncology, Dr. Interiano enjoys strong interests in trauma, minimally invasive surgery and congenital neonatal diseases. He joins us from Dallas, Texas after several years of private practice with a high exposure to neonatal care. He is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery in both general surgery and pediatric surgery.
Outside of the hospital, Dr. Interiano enjoys spending time with his wife, Ashley, and their three young children. When he is not operating or in the clinic, he spends his time running outside and cheering on his favorite sports teams.
- Advanced minimally invasive surgery
September 09, 2023
Everyone was exceptional
September 08, 2023
Both the nurse and doctor were wonderful. Even the maintenance man in the elevator was very pleasant. Cook Children's has created a wonderful atmosphere.
September 08, 2023
Our nurse was fantastic. (Can't remember her name, but hopefully you know based on our chart.) She was caring, thoughtful, empathetic, great eye contact, detailed and thorough.
August 26, 2023
Was very happy thank you.
July 14, 2023
Everyone was very nice and attentive to what I had to say.
July 14, 2023
Dr. Interiano and his entire team were amazing!
July 13, 2023
The people was very nice everything was done in a timely matter and my son love the inside lol he wasn't scared at all and he be scared to go to doctor cause he don't like shots lol
July 13, 2023
Juanita , she was such an amazing person great personality and just open and direct would love to meet with her again and will chose to work with her any day phenomenal woman
June 02, 2023
Dr.Interiano, he was very caring and kind, very professional but at the same he cared about his patient and there family. Thank You , you made a very scary situation, easy and I'm forever grateful you were there. Gob Bless You and your Team.
May 25, 2023
Everyone did an amazing job
May 17, 2023
Thorough, very patient, and kind
April 27, 2023
He was amazing ! If he wasn't strictly surgeries I would prefer him to be my sons PC Peds doctor
April 08, 2023
Nurse Brett, she was amazing and listened to all my concerns. The doctor was incredible as well and explained everything in very simple terms for me.
April 01, 2023
Our entire experience was very pleasant and we couldn't be happier with the entire team!!
March 23, 2023
Dr. Interiano was fantastic. I trusted him wholeheartedly after his explanation of (Patient's) condition and surgery to correct. The staff from front desk to exam room was very courteous and kind while maintaining a professional demeanor. Thank you for an excellent first visit.
February 24, 2023
All the staff is excellent, excellent treatment and very good communication
- Medical School:
- The University of Texas - Southwestern Medical Center - Dallas, TX
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center GME - Memphis, TN
- University of Oklahoma
- Board Certifications:
- American Board of Pediatric Surgery
- American Board of General Surgery
- American Pediatric Surgical Association
- Cook Children's Physician Network
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Texas Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Administrative chief resident of general surgery program at University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 2017-2018
- TN-American College Surgeons – oral presentation 1st place in cancer competition, 2017
- TN-American College Surgeons – oral presentation 1st place in cancer competition, 2015
- TN-American College Surgeons – oral presentation 2nd place in cancer competition, 2014
- TN-American College Surgeons – oral presentation 2nd place in trauma competition, 2014
- Harwell-Wilson Surgical Society – 2nd place in oral presentation, 2014
- Society of University Surgeons (SUS) Travel Award for best presentation, 2014
- Awarded travel to present research at European Society of Surgical Research in Budapest, Hungary 2014
- AAS Outstanding Resident Research Award in Basic Science, 2014
- TN-American College Surgeons – oral presentation 2nd place in cancer competition, 2013