Meet Dr. Deborah A. Schutte
When your child's heart is broken, you want the best possible cardiologist available to mend it. The depth of knowledge and skill through Dr. Schutte, Cook Children's Director of Cardiology, tied to the vast technology and expertise available in our innovative Heart Center, gives children a superior level of outcomes.
Dr. Schutte loves children and it is an obvious reason for aspiring to become a pediatric cardiologist. Over the years, she has developed an equal fondness for the parents, and this has led her to the realization that pediatric care involves a focus on treating patients and must include the compassion to also teach parents.
While caring for families, she works closely with Cook Children's surgical staff on the front end, piecing together the puzzle of a child's heart condition, and when possible, keeping children out of the operating room. Dr. Schutte believes "Without team work, it won't work"
Another cause close to her heart is preventing and treating childhood obesity. "As a society and as parents, we need to be more conscientious in raising healthy children," she says. And she knows parenting firsthand as the mother of two sons. She is active herself and being an exercise advocate, enjoys her time in the stands watching both boys play any and every sport.
- Cardiac catheterization
- Interventional cardiology
- Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG)
- Diagnostic cardiac catheterization
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
- Electrophysiology studies
- Transcatheter pulmonary valve
- Routine outpatient care
- Medical School:
- University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omha, NE
- University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, VA
- Board Certifications:
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Cook Children's Physician Network