Meet Dr. Gregory Barker
Whenever anyone asks Gregory Barker, M.D., what called him to pediatric practice, he always answers with an enthusiastic, "Kids!" He initially wanted to take care of adults (and still does, to a certain extent, taking care of adult patients with congenital heart disease). However, Dr. Barker has found most satisfaction and enjoyment in taking care of kids. "It brings me great joy to know that I am taking care of patients with their whole lives ahead of them, and hopefully playing a part in the quality of that life."
Anyone who has ever been to a specialist feels a certain intimidation by the terminology and the steep learning curve that accompanies an illness. Dr. Barker understands and addresses this in pediatric cardiology and his specific area of expertise, electrophysiology.
"I'm proud that I can explain medicine to people in a way that they will understand. In some ways the illnesses are very complicated, but with the proper explanation and friendly language, they're much more simple," he says.
He also understands that these explanations are needed as much for the patient families as the patients themselves.
Dr. Barker has always enjoyed working with children. When asked of his calling to pediatrics he says, "If you have a love of pediatrics you know it, and if you don't, you know it."
He and his wife have four kids of their own. Dr. Barker was a football and baseball player in high school earning the award of Houston Scholar Athlete of the Year, although he admits, "I was more scholarly than athletic." After residency he spent a year on a medical mission trip in Cusco, Peru.
Today he coaches kids baseball, spends time outdoors, cycles from time to time and is an avid runner.
- Catheter ablation
- Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG)
- Holter and home EKG monitoring
- Stress testing
- Electrophysiology studies
- Pacemaker implantation and management
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator implantation and management
- Implantable loop recorder implantation and management
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Routine outpatient care
- Barker GM, O'Brien SM, Welke KF, Jacobs ML, Jacobs JP, Benjamin DK, Peterson ED, Jaggers J, Li JS. Major infection after cardiac surgery: a risk estimation model. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2010 March;89(3):843-50.
- Guleserian KJ, Barker GM, Sharma MS, Macaluso J, Nugent AW, Forbess JM. Bilateral Pulmonary Artery Banding for Resuscitation in High-Risk, Single Ventricle Neonates and Infants: a Single Center Experience. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2013 January;145(1):206-13.
- Barker GM, Affolter J, Fulton J, Cox C, Forbess JM, Scott W, Zeltser I. Temporary atrial pacing for cardiac output following pediatric cardiac surgery. Pediatric Cardiology. 2013 Oct;34(7):1605-11.
- Barker GM, Forbess JM, Nugent AW. Optimization of preoperative status in hypoplastic left heart syndrome with intact atrial septum by left atrial decompression and bilateral pulmonary artery bands. Pediatric Cardiology. 2014 Mar;35(3):479-84.
- Goodfriend AC, Welch TR, Barker G, Ginther R Jr, Reigel MS, Reddy SV, Wang J, Nugent A, Forbess J. Novel bioresorbable stent coating for drug release in congenital heart disease applications. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. 2014 Sep 8. DOI 10.1002/jbm.a.35313.
- Barker GM, O'Brien SM, Welke KF, Jacobs ML, Jacobs JP, Benjamin DK, Peterson ED, Jaggers J, Li JS. Major infection after cardiac surgery: a risk estimation model. Abstract/poster presented at Duke Pediatrics Research Day, 2008, Durham, North Carolina.
- Barker G, Nar M, Welch T, D'Souza N, Eberhart R. Foamed poly (L) lactic acid (PLLA) fibers using carbon dioxide as blowing agent for drug delivery applications. Oral presentation at the 28th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference, May 4-6, 2012, Houston, Texas.
- Barker G, Affolter J, Fulton J, Saylor C, Koch J, Forbess J, Scott W, Zeltser I. Temporary atrial pacing for cardiac output following pediatric cardiac surgery. Oral presentation at Heart Rhythm Society 33rd Annual Scientific Sessions, May 9-12, 2012, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Barker GM, Nar M, Welch TR, D'Souza N, Nugent AW Eberhart RC. Influence of CO2 Blowing Agent on Porous Bioresorbable Stent Structure. Oral presentation at the American Society of Mechanical Engineering 2013 Summer Bioengineering Conference, June 26-29, 2013, Sunriver, Oregon. (Presented by Dr. Eberhart on Dr. Barker's behalf)
- Barker G, Kannankeril P, Radbill A, Fish F. Ablation of Para-Hisian Pathways from the Non-Coronary Cusp. Poster presentation at Heart Rhythm Society 35th Annual Scientific Sessions, May 7-10, 2014, San Francisco California.
- Barker G, Fish F. Case presentation: A Mahaim pathway with concealed septal accessory pathway in patient with Ebstein's anomaly. Southeastern Electrophysiology Fellow's Conference. 2014, Nashville, TN.
- Barker G. ECG screening for sports participation: Local, national, and international experience. Cook Children's Grand Rounds. June 2015, Fort Worth, Texas.
- Barker G. What makes an unremarkable ECG remarkable (…and vice versa)? Cook Children's Cardiovascular Symposium. September 2015, Fort Worth, Texas.
- Barker G. Transplant, the 4th stage? Cook Children's Cardiovascular Symposium. September 2017, Fort Worth, Texas.
- Barker G. Bedside ECG reading workshop. Neoheart: Cardiovascular Management of the Neonate. March 2018. Fort Worth, Texas.
- Barker G. Arrhythmias in adult congenital heart disease. Cook Children's Cardiovascular Symposium. September 2019, Fort Worth, Texas.
- Barker G, Affolter J, Fulton J, Saylor C, Koch J, Forbess J, Scott W, Zeltser I. Temporary atrial pacing for cardiac output following pediatric cardiac surgery. Heart Rhythm 2012;9(5): S93.
- Barker GM, Nar M, Welch TR, D'Souza N, Nugent AW Eberhart RC. Influence of CO2 Blowing Agent on Porous Bioresorbable Stent Structure. Proceedings of the American Society of Mechanical Engineering 2013 Summer Bioengineering Conference. Abstract SBC 2013-14073. (Extended abstract)
- Barker G, Kannankeril P, Radbill A, Fish F. Ablation of para-hisian pathways from the non-coronary cusp. Heart Rhythm 2014;1(5):S240.
- Medical School:
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Doctor of Medicine (2001-2005)
- Duke University Medical Center, Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Residency (2005-2009)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Pediatric Cardiology (2010-2013),
Vanderbilt University, Pediatric and Adult Congenital Electrophysiology (2013-2014)
- Board Certifications:
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics-Cardiology
- International Board of Heart Rhythm Examiners Certification-Pediatric Electrophysiology
- Cook Children's Physician Network