Meet Dr. J. Kevin Wilkes
Dr. Wilkes is a native of Louisiana, born and raised in Shreveport. He attended Trinity University, in San Antonio, where he received a degree in biochemistry and molecular biology. Dr. Wilkes returned to Shreveport for medical school at Louisiana State University School of Medicine. It was his mentors and the children he worked with that helped him realize his love of pediatrics and cardiology. He considers it an honor to be a part of a family's journey with congenital heart disease, from diagnosis in pregnancy to routine care.
He went on to complete his residency, chief residency, and pediatric cardiology fellowship at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. During his last year of fellowship, he served as chief fellow and received the Dan McNamara fellow of the year award. Dr. Wilkes then completed additional training in advanced non-invasive cardiac imaging where he trained in transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography, fetal echocardiography, 3D echocardiography, and cardiac MRI.
Dr. Wilkes has a passion for teaching and utilizes this to improve the care of his patients and their families. Whether an innocent murmur or complex congenital heart disease, he believes that patients and families are best served when they are educated and active in developing the best treatment plan together.
Outside of work, Dr. Wilkes enjoys spending time with his family. He enjoys cooking, grilling, good wine, music, golf, and tennis.
- Cardiac MRI
- Cardiology consultation
- EKG Interpretation
- Echocardiography interpretation
- Fetal echocardiography interpretation
- Fetal/Prenatal cardiology consultation and treatment
- Holter and event monitor interpretation
- Stress testing
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Treatment of congenital and acquired heart disease
- Medical School:
- Louisiana State University (LSU) School of Medicine, Shreveport, LA
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Baylor College of Medicine (BCM), Houston, TX
- Board Certifications:
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Fetal Heart Society
- Cook Children's Physician Network
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society (2013)
- Dan G. McNamara Fellow of the Year (2021)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society (2015)
- Martin Lorin Teaching Award (2017)