Meet Dr. Matthew Christman
Dr. Matthew Christman has devoted his efforts to the care and surgical management of children with urology concerns since 2012. He views his practice as a calling, and he is passionate about providing the highest quality care to his patients and their families.
Dr. Christman is a decorated military surgeon having achieved the rank of captain while serving in the United States Navy for 21 years. During the last 11 years of his military career, he was the lone pediatric urologist covering the West Coast and Pacific regions for the Navy. He also led the Navy's only urology residency training program as program director for seven years. He has over 40 publications in the field of urology and has earned a master's degree in health systems engineering which he utilizes to help improve his patients' experiences of care.
Outside the hospital Dr. Christman loves spending time with his wife and three children. He enjoys trying (sometimes successfully?!) to maintain the military fitness standards and he is often found coaching youth sports throughout the week and on the weekends. While Dr. Christman grew up in Philadelphia Eagles country, he's excited to now call Big D his home as a member of the Cook healthcare team. If you want to know his football loyalties, you'll have to ask him when you meet him!
- All surgical and medical conditions of male and female urinary and reproductive tract
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Reconstructive Urology
- Medical School:
- Georgetown University School of Medicine – Washington, DC
- Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- University of Pennsylvania/Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Board Certifications:
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Urology Pediatric Urology Subspecialty Certification
- Cook Children's Physician Network
- American Urological Association
- Societies for Pediatric Urology
- American Urological Association Young Urologist of the Year
- Naval Medical Center San Diego Program Director of the Year
- Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal