Guest and Visitor Information
Whether you are a guest in our medical center or visiting one of our guest patients, you'll find helpful information to make your stay or visit a pleasant one.
Family members and friends are welcome and encouraged to visit. Here are some guidelines for visitors:
- Visiting hours are from 8 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Do not allow visitors who are sick or have a fever.
- Hands must be washed before and after visits.
- Parents: Cook Children's promotes family-centered care as a part of our philosophy. We recognize the importance of the family/caregiver in the support of a hospitalized child and therefore support unlimited parental access to their child. Parents or primary caregivers may spend the night at the bedside and participate as a partner in care, with a medical center-issued ID band.
- Siblings: Siblings and other children can visit the patient's room during regular visiting hours. Siblings of patients in isolation may have restrictions. If your child is in isolation, please check with your nurse before allowing siblings to visit.
- Local calls: Local calls are free. Dial 9 + 10 digit number to make a call.
- In-hospital calls: To call a number in the medical center, just dial the 4-digit extension using the phone in your room.
- Cellphones: If you use your cellphone in the medical center, please be mindful of your surroundings and respectful of others around you. If you require privacy for you phone call, please as a nurse on your floor or the hosts at the welcome desk for help.
We know that a child's illness or injury can impact a family physically, emotionally and financially. Fortunately, you don't have to face these challenges alone. We provide a growing number of services for patients and families, all designed to help support, heal and encourage you through every step of your journey.
The following resources are available to help make your stay at Cook Children's more comfortable.
Newspapers: You can purchase newspapers at the Enchanted Castle Gift Shop. Newspaper stands are also located in the Emergency Department entrance and the first floor of the visitor parking garage by the elevators.
Bomar Library: The Bomar Library is located on the first floor of the medical center inside the Child Life Zone. The Bomar Library is open during the same hours as the Child Life Zone. You may call 682-885-6214 before visiting.
Matustik Family Health Library: Up-to-date, understandable information about children's health is available in the Matustik Family Health Library, located on the first floor of the medical center, at the 7th Avenue entrance across from the Dodson Specialty Clinics. Resources include books, computers, printer, electronic databases, Internet access and fax. You can ask the librarian to help put together a personalized health information packet just for you. The center is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with professional librarians available to assist families. From inside the medical center you may call the center at ext. 53060, or dial 682-885-3060.
ATM: There are two ATMs in the medical center. One is located on the first floor of the medical center near the Emergency Department and the other is located outside of Camelot Court across from the donor wall.
Internet access: Cook Children's offers free WiFi for your convenience. Logon to guestnet upon your arrival. You can also access the internet at the Matustik Family Health Library.
Chapel: The chapel is located on the second floor of the main building across from elevator B. The chapel is always open. For service times or to speak with a chaplain, please call 682-885-4030.
Mail services: Mail services are available 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon.-Fri. Patient letters and packages are delivered to the nurses station on each floor during these hours. Outgoing mail can be dropped off at the mailbox located on the first floor of the medical center next to elevator B. Outgoing mail is picked up at 1:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri.
Computer access: Computers are available in the Matustik Family Resource Center. Please call 682-885-3060 for more information.
Laundry area: Washers and dryers are available throughout the medical center. Please ask your nurse for the location closest to you. There is no charge for using the washers and dryers. Laundry soap is available for purchase at the Enchanted Castle Marketplace.
Wagons and wheelchairs: If you need a wagon or wheelchair for patient transport, please talk to a volunteer at Information Desk B or Information Desk D or call extension 682-885-6200.
Security: Security is located on the first floor of the medical center near the Emergency Department entrance. To request an escort at any time or to address security concerns, please call 682-885-1047.
Lost and found: For lost items, please visit the Security office on the first floor of the medical center by the Emergency Department entrance. You can also contact Security by calling 682-885-1047.