Genetic Oncology Clinic
If you or a family member has ever battled cancer, you may wonder if there is an increased chance that your children or future children may be at risk also.
At Cook Children’s Hematology and Oncology Center, we offer a Genetic Oncology Clinic that provides care and counseling to children and their families with a genetic predisposition to cancer. This program is one of only a few Genetic Oncology Clinics in the U.S. Our approach is a collaboration among pediatric oncologists, geneticists and genetic counselors providing education, guidance, therapy and routine cancer surveillance studies when indicated for children with a predisposition to cancer.
Cancer predisposition syndromes treated
- Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome (BWS)
- Familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)
- Ataxia telangiectasia (AT)
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndromes (MEN)
- Phosphatase and tensin homolog (PTEN)
- Rothmund Thomson
- Infantile fibromatosis
- Borjeson-Forssman-Lehmann syndrome
- Peutz-Jeghers syndrome
- Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer syndrome (HLRCC)
- Family history consultations
Check out more information on Cook Children's Genetic Oncology Program
Read the article New Clinic Identifies Genetic Risks of Cancer for Patients in our Checkup Newsroom
Oncology patients treated
- Solid tumors; sarcomas such as hepatoblastoma (HBL), pleuropulmonary blastoma (PPB)
- Wilms' tumor
- Life after cancer program patients
- Tumor sequencing that finds germline mutation
- Concerning family history
- Education on cancer genetics and testing
- Provide assistance to families with cancer screenings
- Reviews cancer history with family to identify relatives with potential risk
- Access and/or enrollment in ongoing clinical research
- Genetic counseling/support
Meet Dr. Kelly Vallance
Kelly L. Vallance, M.D., MPH, specializes in treating childhood cancer and is very active in research, serving as a Young Investigator with the Children's Oncology Group. Get to know Dr. Vallance and see what programs and research she is currently active in.
We are here to help.
If your child has been diagnosed, you probably have lots of questions. We can help. If you would like to schedule an appointment, refer a patient or speak to our staff, please call our offices at 682-885-4007.