Nurse Residency Program
One residency, three unique and exciting tracks! Welcome to the Nurse Residency program at Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth, Texas. In this accredited 12-month pediatric nurse residency program, nurse residents rotate through various specialty units, gaining valuable knowledge and clinical experiences to accelerate their transition into professional pediatric nursing.
Applicants may only apply to one of our specialty tracks. Explore and find the track for you:
October 2022 Cohort
Please apply if you have graduated with a BSN or entry-level MSN, May 2022 – August 2022.
Application dates: April 6, 2022 – May 19, 2022 at 5 p.m. Central Time (US and Canada)
Interview notification dates: Week of May 30, 2022
Interview dates: June 13, 2022 – June 17, 2022
Selection notification date: June 27, 2022
Start date: October 10, 2022
Note: Timeline dates are subject to change
- Graduate of an accredited baccalaureate nursing program (BSN) or an entry-level master's of nursing program (MSN)
- Must apply as first professional nursing role
- Must pass the NCLEX prior to the start of the residency
- Must have a minimum 2.5 GPA to be considered
- Associate degree and Licensed Vocational Nurse with:
- Prior work experience as a professional nurse
- Without BSN or entry-level MSN
- Must graduate within the time frame listed above
- Applicants who have previously applied to the nurse residency program are ineligible to reapply
- Application documents received after the deadline will not be considered
Can I apply for more than one specialty track?
No. You may only apply to one specialty track.
How many hours per week do nurse residents work?
This is a full-time position that requires 36-40 hours per week.
Will I be working days, nights, weekends and holidays?
Yes. Nurse residents will work alongside a staff nurse mentor with a schedule that may vary from days, nights, weekends and holidays. Class days are 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
What benefits and vacation time is available to nurse residents?
Check out our Cook Children's Benefits website for more information about all of our benefits.
What types of scrubs are allowed?
You may wear any child-friendly, professional-looking scrubs including scrub pants and a Cook Children's t-shirt.
What is the selection process?
A committee of nurse managers, nurse educators, nurse resident alumni and nurse residency leadership will evaluate candidates for interviews and residency positions. If you are selected for an interview and a residency position, a nurse residency representative will call you.