From our humble beginnings over 100 years ago, Cook Children's has grown to become one of the nation's largest freestanding pediatric health care systems, serving children and families in communities far and wide. Among those communities is Abilene, Texas. Discover the long history that Cook Children's pediatric specialties —and specialists— have with Abilene, the surrounding communities, and the wonderful physicians, patients and families we've come to know.
Did you know?
- More than 30 years ago, Abilene became the site of Cook Children's first pediatric specialties center – starting with Hematology and Oncology outreach.
- Our regional specialties clinics fulfill the Cook Children's Promise – to improve the health of every child through the prevention and treatment of illness, disease and injury.
- Currently, we bring six pediatric specialties clinics to Abilene: Cardiology, Endocrinology, Genetics, Hematology and Oncology, Pulmonology, Nephrology and Urology.
- Our clinics offer cardiac stress testing, diabetic education and Child Life services. Our nursing staff is able to provide port access and lab draw services and we also collaborate with the local PharmD training program.
- To live up to our Promise, Cook Children's combines the art of caring with the use of leading technology and extraordinary collaboration to provide exceptional care for every child, every day. In addition to our onsite clinics, we offer virtual health visits with a wide variety of pediatric specialists and work closely with local hospitals to keep our patients close to home whenever possible.
- Annually we have over 2,000 patient visits in Abilene.
- In 2019 we initiated our Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) service with the opening of the MFM clinic in Abilene. This service is led by Dr. Holly Dunn.
- Our MFM clinic serves women from all across Texas and annually we have in excess of 5,000 visits.
Additional fun facts
- Abilene is about 150 miles from Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth, Texas.
- Abilene is the hub of what is referred to as the “Big Country” – an area that encompasses 12 counties located in the western portion of Central Texas and the eastern portion of West Texas.
Discover our pediatric specialties and experts in Abilene.