IMPORTANT: Because it is difficult to socially distance in the Infusion Center, and in an effort to keep everyone safe, we must request that siblings 2 and under not be brought to H/O Clinic and Infusion Center patient appointments.
Cook Children's Infusion Center is an outpatient service offered to children and young adults who require intravenous therapy for various diseases and disorders. The center collaborates with a wide range of pediatric specialties to provide the care needed for our patients.
Starting May 1, Cook Children's Infusion Center will serve you in an improved area at the Dodson Specialty Clinics. Please use the new P1 garage to park and check in at the new location of Dodson Central Registration. If you have any questions, just ask us. We're here for you every step! Download map.
Specialties we serve
- Hematology and Oncology
- Nephrology and Dialysis
- Endocrinology and Diabetes
The infusion center is designed to provide children and young adults with convenient outpatient care who require a one-time or ongoing intravenous therapy for a variety of acute and chronic conditions.
- Blood products
- Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG)
Our team consists of physicians, nurses and medical assistants in the delivery of care. During their visit, each patient is closely monitored by a specialty trained pediatric registered nurse.
What to expect
After checking in at the front desk, a medical assistant will document your child's vitals, height and weight. An infusion nurse will be assigned to your child and he/she will have a designated chair to sit in during treatment.
You're welcome to bring in outside food and/or drinks, and your child is encouraged to bring a comforting item to the appointment, such as a stuffed animal or toy. If you need one, we have blankets and pillows available. Due to limited space, we ask that you make child care arrangements for other children/siblings.
Support, convenience and comfort
- Child Life support
- Video game consoles and TVs
- Hand-held video games
- Scheduled activities
- Small family kitchen
- Food/snacks for the patients
- Exclusive space for adolescents/young adults
Infusion Center guidelines
- Infusions are planned for 8 hours or less.
- Patients who may be contagious are not permitted to use the Infusion Center due to the immunocompromised status of many of the patients, including cystic fibrosis patients.
- An emergency medication plan must be in place for all high-risk patients.
- Each patient is allowed a visitor/attendant/caregiver or family member. The charge nurse will review any special circumstances.
- Only Cook Children's approved therapy dogs are allowed within the Cook Children's Infusion Center.
- All patients with acute illness will be assessed upon arrival to their appointment. Their provider will be called immediately to address their status and the infusion will be placed on hold until the physician assessment or direction is obtained.
- The referring physician will be called if there is any change in patient status.
- A referring physician's orders must be in place at the time of the infusion appointment to avoid a delay in patient care.
- Conditional orders, such as plus or minus transfusions, are scheduled only on weekdays.
- White bag medications (those sent from a specialty clinic pharmacy to Cook Children's Pharmacy) will be administered by infusion nurses with order from provider.
- Brown bag medication (those brought in from home by patient or caregiver to the Infusion Center) do not meet Cook Children's Pharmacy regulatory requirements and will not be administered by infusion staff.
Standards of care
- The Infusion Center nursing staff follows the standards outlined under the Nurse Practice Act and complies with The Joint Commission's regulatory guidelines. In addition, Cook Children's Infusion Center staff comply with Cook Children's Medical Center policies and follow the concepts and recommendations of the Association of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Nurse Standards. All nursing staff are chemotherapy/biotherapy certified.
To make a referral and schedule an appointment with the Cook Children's Infusion Center, please contact 682-885-4542.