Our nurses never settle for average. They continually strive for excellence in both the clinical side of their jobs and in the compassionate treatment of our patients and their families. We are proud of each and every nurse because they are a shining example of how we work to fulfill our Promise to improve the health of every child in our region.
Through Cook Children's Great 10 Nurses, the Great 100 Nurses, and DAISY Award winners, Cook Children's recognizes the outstanding caregivers that shine among their peers and exemplify the nursing profession.
Cook Children's Great 10 – 2020
In the spirit of the DFW Great 100 recognition, Cook Children's Department of Nursing's Rewards & Recognition Committee introduced the Great 10 Awards in 2004. Each spring, nursing staff throughout Cook Children's nominate those around them who are the answer to a very simple question: "Do you know a nurse that has made a difference at Cook Children's?" Recipients are selected in May and recognized as being shining examples of the best of the best in nursing that Cook Children's can offer children and families. At the core of each winning nurse is a caring heart and unwavering dedication to our patients.
- Barbara Peace, MBA, MPH, BSN, RN
- Sarah Smith, MSN, RN, CPN, CPHON
- Christi Thornhill, DNP, APRN, ENP, ACNP-BC, CPNP-AC, CP-SANE
- Jennifer Hammontree, BSN, RN, CCRN
- Kobi Tobint, MSN , RN, CPN, RNC-NIC
- Natalie Carpente, MSN, RN
- Rebecca Meester, BSN, RN
- Kia McCoy, MSN, RN
- Christopher Goad, BSN, RN
- Lauren Petty, BSN, RN
2021 DFW Great 100 Nurses
Each year, the Great 100 recognizes one hundred RNs who are nominated by their peers and selected for being role models, leaders, community servants, compassionate caregivers and significant contributors to the nursing profession. This year we are proud to announce that one of our own Cook Children's nurses was chosen out of the more than 40,000 nurses practicing in the DFW area for their contributions to patient care, research, leadership, education and community service.
Congratulations to Stephen Sims, MSN, RN, NPD-BC
The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses is a national recognition program that is implemented and managed at the hospital level. This award has blossomed from the efforts of one family to applaud the nurses that go above and beyond what is required for their patients. In honor of Patrick Barnes, who lost his battle with ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura), his family created the DAISY Foundation and DAISY Award to "honor the super-human work nurses do for patients and families every day." Nurses are nominated by our patient families and our DAISY Award winners are selected each month based on their compassionate bedside manner and excellent clinical skills.
- July 2020 - Julie Van Orne, MSN, RN, CPN, CNL
- July 2020 - Sunny Burk, BSN, RN
- August 2020 - Rebekah Stevens, RN, BSN, CPN
- August 2020 - Tammie Reece, RN, BSN, CPN
- September 2020 - Maggie McClelen, RN, BSN, CPN
- October 2020 - Stacey Danford, BSN, RN
- Oct. 2020 - Stacey Danford, RN, BSN
- Nov.-Dec. 2020 - Nicholas Engstrom, RN, BSN, CPN
- Jan. 2021 - Madison Caskey, RN, BSN, CPN
- Feb. 2021 - Courtney Timbs, BSN, RN, CPN
- March 2021 - Jennae Tillotson, BSN, RN
- April 2021 - Heather Hamrick, BSN, RN
- May 2021 - Ginger Hull, BSN, RN
- June 2021 - Victoria Hartman, MSN, BSN, RN, CPHON