Learning that your unborn baby may have a medical condition can be frightening and overwhelming. Our Fetal Center is here to help.
If a fetal anomaly is suspected by an obstetrician or maternal fetal medicine specialist, our Fetal Center will work together with the you and your physician to provide diagnostics, delivery planning and medical interventions for your baby once born. Referring providers and their patient families have access to a multidisciplinary team of specialists, all in one location.
Our team of pediatric subspecialists and surgeons will work together with you, your family, referring physician and neonatologists to determine the best strategy for delivery and treatment of your child after birth.
In addition, our fetal nurse coordinator will work with the referring physicians and family to navigate them through every step of the process.
Learn about our Fetal Center
The conditions we treat include but are not limited to the following:
If you do not see a specific condition listed, please contact us at 682-885-2158 to confirm if we treat this condition.
In utero diagnostics:
- Level III ultrasound performed by a perinatologist
- Fetal echocardiogram performed by a pediatric cardiologist
- Fetal MRI by pediatric radiologist
- Genetic testing with maternal testing, and amniocentesis by the perinatologist
- Genetic counseling
- Prenatal consultation with pediatric subspecialists
- Delivery planning with perinatology, neonatology and pediatric subspecialists
- Family support services
- Help to arrange prenatal and postnatal accommodations
- Tour of the facilities where mom will give birth and where baby will go after birth
- Palliative Care team for discussion of complex outcomes and end of life concerns
Post-delivery treatment and planning:
- Includes access to a complete team made up of specialties and subspecialties.
At Cook Children’s Fetal Center, our team of pediatric subspecialists and surgeons will work together with you, your family and referring physician to determine the best strategy for delivery and treatment of your child after birth.
Fetal nurse coordinator:
- Assists with scheduling fetal consult and all subsequent specialty appointments
- Provides clear directions and instructions regarding appointment location, date, time and process
- Will meet you at the information desk and escort you to the appropriate location for your appointments
- Provides welcome letter, free parking, dining gift cards and a map of Cook Children’s Medical Center
- Provides language assistance if needed
- Communicates with referring providers and delivery hospital
- Provide letter post-consult to referring provider and delivery hospital summarizing the content discussed in consultation including the infant’s plan of care at delivery
- Summarize your appointment results and answer any questions you may have
- If you anticipate your baby will spend time in the NICU, a tour can be provided.
- Dr. Bannie Tabor, MD | Maternal Fetal Medicine Pediatrix
- Laura Meister, RN, DNP, NEA-BC | Service Line Director, Cook Children’s Medical Center
- Sheralyn Hartline, RN, MSN | NICU Director, Cook Children’s Medical Center
- Lindsey Cannon, RN, MSN, RNC-NIC, NEA-BC | Director, Center for Women and Infants-Texas Health Resource
- Amy Stark, RN | Heart Center Fetal RN
- NICU Case Managers
- NICU Lactation Consultants
- Social Workers
- Child Life Specialists
- Pastoral Care
- Palliative Care
Cook Children's specialties are available to ensure we take care of every aspect of your child and their health needs. Click here to see a full list of specialty programs offered at Cook Children's.
Having a child who's ill can be stressful, which is why we offer a variety of services to help you and your family cope with the day-to-day challenges
Referral and appointment information
Rare and complex congenital heart defects don’t always present a clear cut method of treatment. Often, there are multiple ways of approaching the diagnosis. Our team is available to provide second opinions for families seeking alternative treatment options. If you would like to refer a patient or speak to our staff, please call our offices at 682-885-2158.