To refer a patient for immediate transport, please call Teddy Bear Transport at 1-682-885-3901 or 1-800-543-4878 and request our team to be sent for a patient requiring immediate treatment and/or stabilization.
Prior to our team's arrival the normal referral process will be initiated. This system helps us save valuable time and get the proper care to your patient quicker. The nurse or physician may contact Cook Children's Medical Center via the Communications Center by using a direct connect (blue) phone or calling 1-682-885-3901 or 1-800-543-4878.
Most ER patients can be accepted without talking to the Emergency Room physician at Cook Children's. Some of the patient types that require physician-to-physician contact include:
- Active seizures
- Altered mental status
- Fever with a rash
- Patients who have received more than one 20 ml/kg fluid bolus
- Patients with severe respiratory distress
- Dislocations, open fractures, or fractures/dislocations with neuro or vascular compromise, angulations > 30 degrees or displacement > 50%
- Intubated trauma, intracranial bleeds, GCS < 8, or multi-system trauma
- Cardiac and hematology/oncology evaluated on case-by-case basis, age not a factor
Referring physicians may always request to speak with a Cook Children's physician if they desire. Please have the following information available when you call:
- Emergent or non-emergent referral?
- Is our team needed for transport?
- What mode would you prefer (ground, helicopter, airplane -- as appropriate depending on patient condition and distance)? The Communications Center can provide estimated arrival times for the various modes.
- Patient name, sex, age, DOB, weight, diagnosis and vital signs.
- Respiratory, perfusion and neurological status as appropriate to patient diagnosis.
- Treatment and/or interventions performed and/or planned (O2, IV's, meds, labs, etc).
Required forms and information
For patient transport, please provide the following information:
- Medical consent form
- Copies of chart and X-rays
- Memorandum of transport
- Phone numbers of parents/physician
- Lab work
Answering the call
Cook Children's is home to one of the most advanced transport fleets available. Our units are equipped to transport critical care patients and feature pediatric-oriented technology.
Cook Children's Teddy Bear Transport staff of 62 neonatal/pediatric nurses, respiratory therapists and paramedics is dedicated to getting the most medically fragile children and neonates to our award-winning medical center quickly and safely.
Cook Children's Teddy Bear Transport team brings neonatal and pediatric education programs to your staff to help ensure the best quality care for your newborn and pediatric patients.
All FAA Part 135 aviation services provided by Metro Aviation, Inc., which maintains exclusive operational control over all aircraft.