Coming to a medical center can feel overwhelming and even scary to young patients. The Child Life specialists at Cook Children's Medical Center — Prosper are here to help. Our experience tells us that most children share similar worries when facing a health care encounter. These concerns include:
- Fear of pain
- Lack of routine
- Loss of control
- Unfamiliar environment
Child Life specialists work with kids and families to overcome these feelings. They provide play and recreational opportunities to promote growth, development and some much needed fun. They also prepare and support your child through tests and procedures. If your family needs help coping, they can help with that, too. Best of all, their services are free.
Our Child Life team
Child Life is a highly valued program at Cook Children's. Our Child Life specialists serve on many hospital-wide committees, task forces and councils. Their involvement ensures there's always a focus on children and what's best for them.
Child Life specialists are trained in human development, with a focus on children. Their education includes a bachelor's or master's degree with a semester-long practicum and clinical internship. They must pass an exam and engage in continuing education to maintain their certification.
Child Life services at Cook Children's Medical Center – Prosper
Child Life specialists are available to provide:
- Activities and toys for families to engage in while in their hospital room
- Assistance with coping strategies, distractions and support during medical tests and procedures
- Celebrations of birthdays, holidays and other milestones and essential life experiences
- Developmental assessments and referrals to community resources
- Developmentally appropriate teaching about diagnoses, treatments and life changes
- Medical play to explore medical equipment and remove fear
- Preparation for medical exams, procedures and surgeries
- Support for siblings and other visiting family members
- Visits to a child's school after a serious illness or injury to ease the transition back to classes and help classmates understand
Play is serious business for Child Life
At Cook Children's, we know how important play is. It can bring comfort and joy to a child facing the difficult challenges of a hospital stay, illness or injury. Child Life staff provide play opportunities to:
- Encourage understanding and self-expression
- Gain control over the environment
- Have fun
- Improve mood and relieve stress
- Increase social interactions
- Promote normal development
These opportunities are available in the playrooms on every floor and at our indoor playground. We also bring activities to the bedsides of children who aren't able to leave their rooms. Many of our specialty clinics also have Child Life specialists available.
Other programs arranged by Child Life
We offer patients and families opportunities to participate in other programs, including:
Volunteering with Child Life
Volunteers play an essential role in supporting the Child Life program. Child Life volunteers partner with staff to help make a stay at our medical center more comfortable for our patients and their families.
Are you interested in becoming a Child Life volunteer? Learn more about volunteering at Cook Children's.
Our Child Life specialists are available for you. To contact a Child Life specialist, call 945-204-3150.
Are you a Child Life student or interested in learning more about how to become a certified Child Life specialist? Find out more about the opportunities available at Cook Children's for Child Life students.