Preventive care and healing lies at the heart of everything we do. We'll counsel you about how to keep your child well and safe as they grow and develop. We'll work together to keep your child healthy by offering:
- Consultations for expectant parents: We welcome expectant parents to meet with us and learn about our newborn care. You can print these guidelines to use when meeting our pediatricians.
- Well checks: We perform regular checkups to evaluate your child's physical and mental development in the early years. Download these sheets to learn what to expect at each appointment: [First visit] [2-4 weeks] [2 months] [4 months] [6 months] [9 months] [12 months] [15 months] [18 months] [2 years] [3 years] [4 years] [5 years]
- Immunizations and vaccines: We offer flu shots and other vaccines to prevent serious bacterial and viral illnesses.
- Vision and hearing screenings: We regularly screen children to identify and address any vision and hearing problems.
- School and sports physicals: We routinely provide physicals for participation in sports or school activities. During these visits, your pediatrician takes a complete medical history and performs a physical exam.
- Pediatric injuries: Our doctors see and treat minor issues, including cuts. We order and interpret X-rays and direct care for basic injuries to areas such as bones and muscles. For more complicated injuries, we arrange referrals to specialists at Cook Children's.
- Gynecological care: We create a welcoming environment for reproductive health and development, so your daughter feels comfortable. For additional care, we can connect you with Cook Children's Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology Program.
Care for children and teens with more complex needs
Some children require more help than an annual checkup or occasional office visit for illness or injury. Our pediatricians are ready to help your family with a range of more specialized needs:
Pediatric developmental issues
While we screen for appropriate development during each well child visit, we can also see your family anytime you have a concern. We can arrange for any needed testing. We can also provide guidance on appropriate interventions, such as specialist care or speech, occupational or physical therapy.
ADHD, anxiety and other behavioral health concerns
We help manage care for children who need mental health support for conditions such as anxiety and depression. We also guide you on diagnosis and treatment options for challenges such as ADHD . When appropriate, we can connect you with a specialist for additional care.
Chronic conditions such as asthma, allergies and diabetes
We work closely with parents to guide care for chronic conditions and connect children with Cook Children's specialists when appropriate. Through electronic medical records, our pediatricians can monitor your child's progress and coordinate any additional care needed.
Home health services
If your child needs support at home, we can arrange for skilled pediatric nurses to provide care through Cook Children's Home Health.
Education and resources for families
Sure, you can easily find a wide range of health information on the internet. But not all those claims are trustworthy or based on good evidence. We're committed to providing our families with accurate and reliable information. Want help with a specific topic? Just ask. Here are some helpful resources to get you started: