Meet Cook Children's First Chief Diversity Officer
October 2022 | In August 2020, Cook Children's announced that Winifred King, Assistant Vice President of Public Relations, Corporate Communications and Social Media had been promoted to the newly created position of Chief Diversity Officer. Since King's promotion, she has been helping guide Cook Children's in building a more diverse organization, while furthering efforts of equity and inclusion. Efforts of inclusion, diversity and equity have included the creation of an ID&E task force who have developed an action plan based on six pillars:
- Accountability and data review
- Identifying disparities and sharing the responsibility for ID&E goals across all levels of the organization.
- ID&E training
- Expanding training for both employees and leaders.
- Patient care
- Assuring the patient experience is equitable for all.
- Widening the recruitment net to diverse schools and communities and creating a more transparent and diversified hiring process.
- Professional Development
- Providing resources that help all advance within the organization.
- Creating a culture where ideas are freely shared and valued.
Under each of these pillars, the task force has proposed and prioritized a number of action items to set change in motion. King and her task force look forward to building a better future for all at Cook Children's.