Choosing our center
Choosing our center for pediatric gastroenterology care
Every day, our dedicated team treats infants, children and teens with GI diseases. When you come to Cook Children's, you'll find:
- Expertise: Your child will always see a provider on staff, not a trainee. Our pediatric gastroenterologists are board certified, as they've completed additional training and passed additional tests of their skills. They specialize in caring for the unique needs of children with GI conditions and are joined by experienced nurses. They also partner with experts in pediatric surgery, interventional radiology, pain management, home health and rehabilitation for comprehensive care. Meet our core gastroenterology team.
- Full range of care: We treat the full range of GI disease, including abdominal pain, Celiac disease, feeding disorders and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), pancreatic and biliary disorders. Experts in our Pediatric Gastrointestinal Motility Program treat problems with digestion such as gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD) , constipation and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Learn more about the disorders and conditions we treat.
- Convenient access: With locations throughout the Metroplex, our pediatric gastroenterologists offer timely appointments. Your child can also receive care close to home. And you can contact your care team any time by phone or through our MyCookChildren's patient portal with questions or concerns.
- Special help for teens: As teens with chronic GI diseases approach adulthood, we help them manage their health and learn about the care they'll need going forward. When they're ready, we'll help transition their care to a gastroenterologist who treats adults.
- Impactful research: We're working to move GI care forward. For example, we're exploring ways to use certain minimally invasive procedures (endoscopy) to find effective IBD therapy more quickly. And we're members of ImproveCareNow, a network of centers across the country committed to better IBD treatment.
Meet our gastroenterology doctors
The staff of Cook Children's Gastroenterology provide care, diagnosis, treatment and education for children and adolescents with diseases and disorders of the digestive system.
Complete support for pediatric GI disorders
In addition to help from doctors and nurses, your child will receive support from a range of specialized caregivers in our gastrointestinal program. These providers will help meet your child's needs throughout treatment and include:
- Child Life specialists: Each time you come to Cook Children's, our Child Life specialists are ready to help. They'll talk with your child about what to expect during testing and treatment. And they'll use creative ways, such as models or diagrams, to explain care in terms your child can understand.
- Clinical therapists: We understand that digestive problems can interfere with your child's daily routine and may cause some anxiety. Our clinical therapists are here to help and are an important part of our team. They provide mental health support for children and their families throughout treatment.
- Dietitians: Our dietitians provide nutrition support before, during and after your child's treatment. They'll work with you to create a diet tailored to your child's needs.
- Rehabilitation therapists: Physical, occupational and speech therapists provide treatment for children affected by certain GI conditions, including feeding or swallowing disorders.
- Social workers: Our social workers ensure that you have the resources you need while your child is receiving care at Cook Children's. They can also help arrange any special accommodations your child needs to attend school or participate in other activities.
Make an appointment or refer a patient
We're ready to help. If you'd like to schedule an appointment, refer a patient or speak to our team, call our offices at 682-885-1990.
Learn more about appointments, insurance coverage and patient referrals.