Diagnosing and Treating Children
Diagnosing GI disorders in children
We have the expertise and technology to accurately diagnose the condition affecting your child. Our doctors, nurses and support team take time to discuss needed tests with you and your child. We'll let you know what to expect at every step.
After doing a physical exam and asking about your child's medical history, we'll discuss further options with you. These tests may include:
- Colonoscopy: During these exams, our team uses a flexible tube with a camera to examine the colon and rectum.
- Upper endoscopy: Our doctors use a thin, flexible tube with a small camera or ultrasound probe for a real-time view inside the esophagus, stomach and small intestine.
- Genetic tests: We use genetic testing to identify some GI conditions that run in families.
- Imaging: Scans such as a CT, MRI and abdominal ultrasound provide detailed pictures of the digestive system.
- Lab tests: Our team analyzes blood and stool samples to identify a wide range of conditions affecting the digestive system.
- Motility tests: We use motility tests to measure the muscle activity in the stomach and small bowel. The results help us understand how food is moving through the digestive system. Learn more about two options — anorectal manometry [PDF] and esophageal manometry [PDF].
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and advanced endoscopy: These tests deliver real time viewing diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic, biliary and small bowel disorders.
- Video capsule endoscopy: We offer comprehensive evaluation of small bowel disorders.
Gastrointestinal treatments for children
Our team will work with you to find the best treatment plan for your child's specific needs. We offer a full range of options, including medications, nutritional support and lifestyle changes to help manage or relieve your child's symptoms.
We also offer innovative therapies through our clinical trials program, such as a new category of medications (biologics) to treat IBD. And our endoscopic procedures offer a minimally invasive approach whenever possible. When needed, we also provide standard surgery.
Appointments and Referrals
Make an appointment or refer a patient
If you'd like to schedule an appointment, refer a patient or speak to our team, call our offices at 682-885-1990.
See which insurance companies we have contracts with, who to contact if you're not sure, or if Cook Children's isn't covered on your plan.
Coming from outside of Texas?
For families traveling to Cook Children's for care, our Global Health Services concierge team is here to assist with every detail. We'll help:
- Schedule appointments
- Plan travel
- Find accommodations
- Offer financial counseling and insurance approvals
- Arrange translation services
Please contact our Global Health Services care coordinator to arrange your visit to Cook Children's:
We're here to help.
If your child has been diagnosed, you probably have lots of questions. We can help. If you would like to schedule an appointment, refer a patient or speak to our staff, please call our offices at 682-885-1990