Cook Children's can serve as a child's dental home. Cook Children's board certified pediatric dentists help to simplify dental care to improve overall health for kids.
We accept Medicaid and CHIP patients and can treat children with medical conditions.
Cook Children's Neighborhood Clinic – Renaissance
2600 E. Berry St.
Fort Worth, TX 76105
817-347-4600 phone (call in advance for appointments)
As a first dental home provider, we provide oral health education for our patients and families, along with the following dental services:
- Digital X-rays
- Root canal therapy
- Nitrous oxide
- Conscious sedation
- Topical anesthetic
- Local anesthetic
Some kids like going to the dentist, but others might be afraid of a visit to the dental office. If your child is worried or fearful, a little preparation before the visit can be especially helpful. Here are a few tips to help make the experience easier for your child and for you.
- Be positive about the dentist visit. Don't use the dentist as a threat to try and get your child to brush their teeth or eat healthy. Instead, reassure your child that the dentist just wants to keep their teeth as healthy as possible. It may be helpful to plan a special activity for after the visit!
- Talk with your child about what may happen, using simple language. For example:
- "The people at the dentist's office might want to take x-ray pictures of your teeth so that they can see if they are healthy."
- "The dentist will look at your teeth, and a dental hygienist may come in to clean your teeth and teach us how to keep your teeth clean at home."
- If you'd like, Child Life can provide you with a dental take-home kit. The kit contains materials you can use to help your child learn about the tools and equipment that he or she will see during your visit to the dentist. We can even arrange for you to have these materials prior to your first visit.
- Having a visual schedule can help some children through the visit by making them feel a little more in control. The schedule lets them know what to expect each step of the way during the visit. Please contact child life if you would like to receive a visual schedule.
- If your child has a developmental condition such as autism, or other health problems that may make oral care and dental visits particularly challenging, be sure to let the dentist's office know when you make the appointment. This will allow us to ensure that your child has as pleasant an experience as possible.
- Our Child Life specialists work with kids and families to make their visit to the dental clinic easier and more comfortable. Child Life staff members will provide honest information about the child's procedure, information that is geared to the child's level of understanding.
If you have additional questions regarding how to prepare your child for their visit, please feel free to contact the Renaissance Clinic Child Life Specialist at 817-347-4600.
Meet our dentist
Sheela Patel, D.D.S
I have always loved being around children of all ages. I was drawn to pediatric care while I was volunteering for the Give Kids A Smile program offered through the University of Nebraska Medical Center Dental School. We provided free dental screenings, treatment and education to underserved children in rural areas of Nebraska. Not only did I enjoy treating children, I was able to take part in educational activities to increase their awareness of oral health and discuss the importance of taking care of their teeth at a young age. I also was fortunate to have the experience to provide dental services to children in need on a mission trip to Honduras during my residency training. I am a big proponent of preventative dentistry and committed to improving the health of children by educating families on the importance of oral health care. I love showing children that dentistry could be fun and also provide a positive experience and trust that they can take with them forever.
I enjoy spending time with my husband, Jay and my son, Niam. I also enjoy being outdoors, reading, music and traveling. My husband is also in the medical field and is a practicing surgeon in the greater Fort Worth area.