Panda Cares Center of Hope Sibling Support Center
There are many times when parents have to bring siblings to patient appointments. This can be stressful for parents, the patient and the brothers and sisters who have to sit through appointments.
At Cook Children’s, our care doesn't stop with the patient, it extends to the whole family. That's why we partnered with Panda Express to bring you The Panda Cares Center of Hope Sibling Support Center. The center creates a safe place for brothers and sisters to stay during appointments while allowing parents to focus on their child who is a patient. Just as importantly, it gives siblings time to be the focus of specific programming designed to support their emotional, psychosocial and developmental needs.
Located on the first floor of the Dodson Specialty Clinics, the center is open to patient siblings ages 3 to 11, Monday through Friday, for up to 90 minutes per visit. Programming includes creative arts activities, play supporting growth and development, music, dramatic play, video games for older children and more. There is no cost to families for this service.
What does the center offer?
- Play in a safe, fun and supportive environment
- Age-appropriate activities for children to play out their range of feelings
- Therapeutic arts and crafts activities
- Peer interaction
Who can attend?
- Brothers and sisters ages 3-11 years old and completely toilet-trained
- Brothers and sisters who do not exhibit any symptoms of illness
Sibling Support Center Guidelines
- Siblings must be signed in by a legal parent or guardian by completing a brief registration and consent form.
- Parents or legal guardians must show a driver's license or government ID to check in and check out a sibling.
- A parent or guardian must remain on Cook Children's campus while your child is in the center.
- Siblings can stay for 90 minutes and must have a 30 minute break before returning for another 90 minutes, dependent upon space availability.
- The center can welcome a maximum of 20 children at a time. We operate on a first come, first serve basis. We encourage families to check back if the center is full.
- No food or drinks allowed in the sibling center.