Protecting your children while using smart devices: An introduction to parental controls
Smart phone technology has come a long away in the last few years. While phones can provide entertainment, important information, and even help improve health care outcomes, they also are a gateway for some not-so-nice things (see our section on Apps for health care).
That's why parental controls are important. Controls keep children focused on the smartphone features that are appropriate for them. In addition, they can limit access to specific apps and the ability to purchase them. They can also prevent sharing sensitive information, as well as set time limits on device use. Both iOS and Android have different options to help parents put these restrictions in place.
Screen Time settings for iOS
1) Screen Time, a built-in iOS software, is easy to find under Settings.
2) From there you have two options:
a. Set up rules for each device
b. Set Up Screen Time for Family. This option allows you to set the rules for the entire Family Sharing account. With Family Sharing the user doesn't need a separate passcode. All requests get routed to the parent's device, preventing the child from ever seeing it! This also means the parent doesn't have to be physically near the child's device to make decisions.
Screen Time settings for Android
1) You can access Android parental control device restrictions by going to Settings > Family > Parental Controls.
2) Similar to iOS, a separate passcode is set up for the features you wish to restrict. In order to override access, that passcode must be entered.
3) Android has an option similar to iOS's Family Sharing. It's controlled through the Family Link App (which can be downloaded from the Google Play Store). This also allows the parental controls to be tied to a child's Google Account rather than the device itself.
Both platforms provide settings to help keep your mind at ease while still letting your child get the most out of their smart devices. For more information on parental controls Click here for iOS and Click here for Android.
Our techsperts look forward to meeting you soon.
-Peaks Tech Zone