Nurse Externship Program
Cook Children's nursing externship program offers an exceptional pediatric learning opportunity to enhance the extern's role transition, reinforcement of skills and development of new knowledge.
Thank you for your interest in Cook Children’s Nurse Externship Program. The Nurse Externship Program is taking a vacation for the Summer of 2023. Please check back in the Fall of 2023 for more information.
Nurse externs will complete a 10-week program. The externship consists of clinical experience and classroom activities. Externs will be placed on one of the following units based upon the interview:
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Hematology/Oncology floor
- Surgical floor
- Rehabilitation/Transitional Care Unit
- Surgical services (OR, Recovery, Pre-op)
- Cardiac Unit
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Medical floor
- GI/Renal floor
- Emergency department
- Endocrine floor
- Epilepsy Monitoring Unit/Medical Unit
- Internal staffing (opportunity to experience multiple units)
BSN students with at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA who will have completed 2 clinical courses by May 20 may apply.
Applicants complete an online application as well as an additional information form. Two letter of recommendation forms are also required. (We recommend downloading and saving the Request for Additional Information and the Letter of Recommendation to your computer before completing or sending to your references.)
You must complete the online application and submit all your required documentation together in one email by February 1, 2022. The two individuals completing the letter of recommendation forms should send the form directly to email@example.com.
The nurse extern coordinators will evaluate applications and select candidates for interviews. If you are selected for an interview, a recruiter from Human Resources will call to arrange an appointment.
- February 1, 2022 – Deadline for all application components, including on-line application (must be received by 5:00 PM CST)
- February 21-25, 2022 – Interviews (at the Medical Center or via Zoom)
- February 28 – March 4 – Selection of externs and notification
- May 23, 2022 – Start of program
- July 30, 2022 – End of program
For questions, please contact Organizational and Professional Development: